King County gathers personal information when it is relevant and necessary, fair and to the extent possible with the knowledge and consent of the individual, to accomplish county business. We only obtain this information through legal means. When King County collects personal information from you, we:
- Tell you why we are collecting this personal information.
- Limit the amount of your personal information that we collect to that which is necessary for the stated purpose for which it was collected.
- Take steps to use your personal information to the stated purpose for which it was collected.
- Take steps to ensure that, at the time of collection, your personal information is accurate, complete and current.
- Provide your personal information only to authorized King County employees and private contractors or public organizations on a need-to-know basis and as a result of a public disclosure request as required by the Public Records Act.
- Do not sell or make your personal information available to others without your consent
- Legally required or permitted by law; or
- Needed to complete your transaction with the county.
- Retain personal information only as long as necessary to conduct county business in accordance with records retention schedules.
- Dispose of personal information in a secure manner that prevents unauthorized disclosure.
- Take organizational, technological, and physical measures to securely safeguard personal information.
Information specific to the Internet
King County may track information, such as user hits, visits and sessions; however this information cannot be linked to a specific person.
Personal information collected on certain King County Web pages is data that you provide to us about yourself. Providing personal information to us on our Web site is purely voluntary. This information is used to better serve you. Should you choose not to provide personal information to King County on a Web site, you may provide this information to us in another way, such as visiting a county office during normal business hours or, for some county services, completing your business by mail or telephone.
When King County collects personal information from children using our Web site, it complies with the Federal Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act.
King County’s Web site has links to other Web sites, including other government agencies, nonprofit organizations and private businesses. When you link to one of these external Web sites, you are no longer on King County’s Web site and this privacy notice no longer applies. Instead, you are subject to the privacy notice or other terms and conditions of that Web site.
Review and correct your personal information
Upon request to a specific King County agency, you may review your personal information that the agency maintains about you and ask that agency to correct any inaccuracies.
To find out more, contact King County at the e-mail address or telephone number listed below.
Contact information and alternate languages
For privacy inquiries or alternate languages, please contact King County by e-mail at PrivacyContact@kingcounty.gov or leave a telephone message at 206-296-4025. (Languages offered: Cambodian, Chinese, Korean, Laotian, Russian, Spanish and Vietnamese.)
Other King County privacy notices
Some King County agencies may have privacy notices that are more restrictive than this information privacy notice. In that case, the agency's specific privacy notice takes precedence over this notice. For privacy inquiries specific to a King County agency's privacy notice, please contact that agency directly.
Alternate formats of this document are available by telephone, at 206-296-4025 or TTY Relay 711.